Disasters across the United States and the world have made United Methodist Committee On Relief Kits of crucial importance again this year. United Methodist Women are taking the initiative and inviting our congregation to join together to collect supplies and money for Church organized national and international assistance.
• We will be collecting supplies and money donations for UMCOR during the next 2 weeks.
• Supplies may be brought to church on or before the day of assembly.
• On Saturday, August 11 at 10:00, we will host the UMCOR Kit Assembly. Anyone interested is welcome to take part.
• Contact Judy Huff email@example.com (510-589-6164) regarding which supplies you plan on donating or if you have questions about what is currently needed. (For instance: We currently have 24 combs for the Health Kits.)
• Health Kits, Birthing Kits and School Kits are the focus of this collection effort.
• Lists of needed supplies are attached to this message or are available on the UMW bulletin board in the church hallway.
• Money donations need to be made out to St. Paul Fremont UMW and given to our UMW Treasurers …either Elsa Ilagan or Jane Yarbrough.
• All donations will be sent on to UMCOR West in Salt Lake City for distribution.
Birthing Kit Assembly & Shipping Instructions
Birthing kits provide the essential items to promote a safe, clean delivery and to encourage good aftercare.
Birthing Kit Items Value: $8 per kit
▪ 1 small bar soap 1 oz. to 2 oz. size-do not remove from original packaging, small bars such as those found in hotels are acceptable
▪ 1 pair latex, surgical or thin rubber gloves-no kitchen or thick rubber work gloves, gloves are not required to be sterile
▪ 1 square yard of clear plastic sheeting-must be 4 mil thick plastic trash bags and shower curtains are not acceptable
▪ 3 12 inch long pieces of cotton string-must be clean, secure the pieces of string by bundling and tying them together. no yarn please
▪ 1 single edge razor blade-must be covered in paper or cardboard to keep it from causing injury, regular shaving razors are not acceptable
▪ 2 receiving blankets 30”x 30” or 32”x 32” size-no thermal or fleece blankets please
▪ 1 plastic bag one gallon size sealable bags only
Fold the plastic sheeting and blankets so they will fit easily into the plastic bag. Lay the loose items on top of the blankets and plastic sheeting. Slide all items into the plastic bag. Squeeze as much air out of the bag and then seal it.
All items must be new. Do not wash any of the items as they will be considered used. All emergency kits are carefully planned to make them usable in the greatest number of situations. Since strict rules often govern product entry into international countries, it is important that kits contain only the requested items – nothing more.
DO NOT include any personal notes, money or additional material in the kits. These things must be painstakingly removed and will delay the shipment.
School Kit Assembly & Shipping Instructions
In some countries, children don’t have books or school supplies. Many have no schoolrooms; classes are held in inadequate or half-destroyed buildings, tents, or even the open air. School kits may be these children’s only educational resources.
School Kit Items Value: $11 per kit
▪ 1 pair blunt scissors
rounded tip only
no plastic scissors please
▪ 3 units of paper 8½ x 11 spiral notebooks or top-bound pads 150 sheets of loose-leaf can be as 1 unit combinations of spiral, top-bound or loose-leaf is acceptable no composition books
▪ 1 hand held pencil sharpener must be at least one inch long – remove from packaging
▪ 1 ‐ 30 centimeter ruler hard or flexible cartoon characters are acceptable – no advertisements please
▪ 6 unsharpened pencils no advertisements, religious, patriotic, military or camouflage symbols please – cartoon characters are acceptable
▪ 1 ‐ 2 ½ inch eraser – no advertisements, religious, patriotic, military or camouflage symbols please – cartoon characters are acceptable
▪ 1 ‐ 24 count box of crayons – only 24 count boxes please
▪ 1 – 14”x16” cloth bag home made or purchased bags are both acceptable – heavy duty fabric only‐ denim, corduroy, drapery fabric etc. – no advertisements, religious, patriotic, military or camouflage symbols please – closures are optional but must be buttons, snaps or Velcro sewn in middle of opening if used
Assembly Directions Place all loose items on top of paper. Turn items sideways and slide into the cloth bag. Fold over the top of the bag so loose items don’t fall out.
Health Kit Assembly & Shipping Instructions
Health kits provide basic necessities to people who have been forced to leave their homes because of human conflict or natural disaster. Health kits are also used as learning tools in personal hygiene, literacy, nutrition and cooking classes.
Health Kit Items Value: $12 per kit
Place these items inside a sealed one-gallon plastic bag.
▪ 1 hand towel 15” x 25” to 17”x 27”
kitchen cleaning and microfiber towels not acceptable
▪ 1 washcloth
▪ 1 comb needs to be sturdy no pocket combs or picks please rattail combs and combs without handles are acceptable
▪ 1 metal nail file or clipper no emery boards please
▪ 1 bath size soap 3 oz. and larger sizes only all brands are acceptable do not remove from original packaging
▪ 1 toothbrush adult size only do not remove from original packaging
▪ 6 adhesive bandages ¾” to 1 “ size common household band aids
▪ 1 plastic bag one gallon size sealable bags only
▪ $1.00 to purchase toothpaste
Set the $1.00 for toothpaste aside to be included in a separate envelope. Lay out the hand towel flat on a table. Lay the washcloth flat in the center of the hand towel. Place all remaining items on top of the washcloth. Fold over the sides of the hand towel to cover all of the items. Fold over one end of the hand towel so that it covers all of the items. Grasp the bundle of items tightly and roll over the remainder of the hand towel tightly. Place the tightly rolled bundle in the plastic bag. Remove as much air as possible and seal the bag.